We used a focus group for our audience research, targeting young teenagers/young adults and asked between 12 and 20 people for each time we carried out our reasearch. It was important that we tested our concept in pre-production to an audience because it gives us valuable answers and can also give us new ideas that can be worked into the our already established idea. We used survey monkey (site example below) to construct our questionnaire. This is a simple site to use and has the available components to create a questionnaire that can be sent to numerous people.
examples of questions I asked:
- ' Would you expect a indie musician to be wearing ? a) suit and tie b) tracksuit bottoms and tee-shirt c) skinny jeans and shirt'
- ' Would you expect alcohol to be seen/present in a indie music video?'
- 'Would you expect to see any outdoor scenes?'
The results we got back from our first audience feedback showed that we to change and adapt our ideas we had already to meet the demands of an indie music video, and give the audience what they would expect and want to see. One of the questions we asked was, ' would you expect to see an outdoor performance scene in a indie music video', the majority of the answers we received back were 'yes' unsurprisingly. This gave us the idea to do a busking scene. Our research feedback was mainly positive and gave us the incentive to try different ideas to fit in with the genre of our video.
We also tested a rough cut of the video on our class, and the main result we got back were that we needed to have more narrative scenes within our video. From this feedback we decided to add more narrative shots into our story board, giving more meaning to the actual video.
Finally we used Survey Monkey again to produce another audience questionnaire to get feedback on our final video. This final test of our finished piece to the audience showed that we needed to give ourselves more time, as the majority of results expressed that there could have been more variety on some parts of the video, and looking at this we feel didn't reach our full potential. We however noted that we managed to identify the genre well, and the audience were able to detect that.